Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Long Rainy Summer

In an effort to focus on the positive, here are some good things that have happened recently:

My anxiety backed down to more normal levels, thank goodness. I now feel able to be a more effective parent. My appetite is still pretty blunted, so my weight has stayed down. And my hair dresser is going to love all my new grey hairs, ha! 

We've had some nice family outings. We attended the Young Artist Center Stage concert at Opera Theatre of St. Louis, which was fantastic. This is the same young artist program I attended 21 years ago, and I can tell you these artists were head and shoulders above my level of singing at that age! Marlena seemed to really enjoy it, and was especially tickled at my and Sasha's complete opera nerdiness. Ha, little does she know we were only about 25% of the way to opera nerds that night - that was completely mild! 

We also attended Pride St. Louis as a family, and Marlena met some friends there. 

Marlena has done a couple of arts camps, because it's good for her to stay busy. I am so amazed by her creativity and talent in so many different arts. She did an oil painting camp and a "movie musicals" camp, where she sang the lead in numbers from Les Mis, Into The Woods, and Legally Blonde. Next week is pottery wheel class, then a two-week a capella camp at the end of the summer. She's also taking tap and ballet classes this summer. She's taking a break from anything competitive, and we're just focusing on enjoying the arts this summer. 

As a family, we have eaten some pretty awesome ice cream so far this summer. Sasha and Marlena are the real ice cream lovers, but if it's really *nice* ice cream, I do enjoy it. Oh my goodness, we have a place called Serendipity in our neighborhood. It's locally handmade ice cream, costs a tiny fortune, but it's phenomenal. Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams has also opened a parlor in St. Louis (!) but we have yet to try it. So far, that has been our "vacation" ice cream place, and it will still need to be a special occasion treat.


I'm looking forward to seeing my family over the July 4th weekend. 

I hope you all are having a nice summer!






No comments:

Post a Comment